How to Migrate to Canada as a Skilled Worker

How to Migrate to Canada as a Skilled Worker's photoBy Ernest Emeka
Fri Jul 14 2023
How to Migrate to Canada as a Skilled Worker

Share this article

Do you have plans to relocate to Canada? With the beautiful stories associated with relocating to Canada, many Nigerians have dished the United States, United Kingdom, or Australia for Canada.

In 1967, Canada started its Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) to pick immigrants worldwide. The point system has worked to the advantage of the country and many skilled workers. 

Since the system does not need subjective criteria to evaluate applicants, you have a fair stand among other skilled workers. Some factors considered in the point system include occupation, age, work experience, language skills, and education, among other factors.

Pay4Me has created a guide to help you relocate to Canada with the Federal Skilled Worker Program. 

How to Migrate to Canada as a Skilled Worker

How can I come to Canada as a skilled worker?

Canada created the Federal Skilled Worker (FSW) Program for skilled workers that can contribute to its workforce.

Types of Canada Skilled worker Programs

·       Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)

The Express Entry system manages the Federal high skilled Program, meaning you must apply under the Express Entry.   The Express Entry immigration system speeds up the process of approving skilled workers for their Canadian Permanent Resident (PR) Visa. To qualify for this route, you need an online profile that would be scored through the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS).

CRS Requirements

·         Qualifications

·         Qualifying Canadian job offer

·         Adaptability

·         Work experience

·         English and French language skills

·         Education

·         Age

Successful applicants who score high and whose profiles were drawn from the Express Entry pool receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for permanent residence. The duration of this process can take at least six months.

·       Federal Skilled Trade Program (FSTP)

The Federal Skilled Trade Program (FSTP) offers skilled, qualified tradespeople an opportunity to permanently live and work in Canada. You will require an Express Entry Profile, which will be scored according to the CRS.

·       Canada Experience Class (CEC)

The Canada Experience Class (CEC) helps qualified skilled immigrants with at least one year of Canadian work experience an opportunity to relocate to the country. If you meet the Express Entry system’s criteria to qualify for CEC, you can travel to Canada.

·         Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs)

As a skilled worker, you can receive your permanent residency through the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP). You can apply via the Express Entry system or the program streams to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI)  and create a second PNP profile.  

You must score the required province's points and meet the criteria before receiving a nomination and ITA for permanent residence with the federal government.

·       Quebec Skilled Worker Program

The Regular Skilled Worker Program or Quebec Skilled Worker manages skilled workers who want to live, settle and work in the Canadian province of Quebec. However, you don't need a job offer to qualify for this Program.

Quebec province administers immigration programs that are different from other provinces. Meanwhile, you must submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) before being invited to apply through the Arrima portal. 

Successful applicants receive the Quebec Selection Certificates that function as an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for permanent residence. 

How does the Canadian skilled worker program work?

Program minimum requirements for:

  • education
  • skilled work experience
  • language ability

You must meet all the minimum requirements to be eligible.

Skilled Workers Selection Factors

  • age
  • education
  • work experience
  • whether you have a valid job offer
  • adaptability 
  • English and/or French language skills

The current pass mark is 67 points.

Minimum requirements

·         Student work experience

The work experience gained while you were studying may count towards your minimum requirements if the work:

  • was paid by wages or commissions
  • was continuous (no gaps in employment), and
  • meets all the other requirements of the Program

·         Skilled work experience

You must have worked in 1 of these National Occupational classifications (NOC) job groups:

  • Managerial jobs (skill type 0)
  • Professional jobs (skill level A)
  • Technical jobs and skilled trades (skill level B)

Your skilled experience must be

  • in the same kind of job (have the same NOC) as the job you want to use for your immigration application or  primary occupation)
  • within the last ten years
  • paid work 
  • at least one year of continuous work 
    • full-time at one job
    • equal amount in part-time 
      • You can work as many part-time jobs as you need to meet this requirement 
  • full-time at more than one job

·         Part-time work experience

Applicant’s skilled work experience must be paid work because of an unpaid internship or volunteer work.

How to Migrate to Canada as a Skilled Worker

For part-time work, you can work more or less than 15 hours/per week as long as it adds up to 1,560 hours. You can work more than one part-time job to get the hours you need to apply.

If you work above 30 hours/week, it will not come for you.

Language ability

You must:

  • Take approved language tests in English or French for:
    • listening
    • speaking
    • writing
    • reading
  • get a minimum score of Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7 in all four abilities
  • enter the test results in your Express Entry profile

Your language tests are valid for two years after the test result date. 

You must have the following:

  • a completed credential, and
  • an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) 
    • secondary institution (high school) or
    • post-secondary institution

Can you bring your family or partner with you if you get a PNP?

Yes. You can bring your loved ones to Canada. In addition, you can sponsor family members to live with you once you gain your permanent residency in Canada. 

In Conclusion:

Relocating to Canada has become easier for Nigerians who want to live and work permanently. With Pay4Me, you can make Canadian transactions, including visa payments.

Subscribe to Pay4Me newsletter

Get the best and latest posts surrounding finances and payments in your inbox each week.

You can unsubscribe at any moment, no hard feelings.